Copy editing your documentDo you need help editing a document in order to produce a polished result? Please send a sample and outline your requirements including:
• The purpose of your document
• The intended readership
• Whether more material will be added
Please allow up to 24 hours for a quote, and enough time afterwards, before submitting or presenting your document, to review any amendments. See my rates page for additional information about charges.
Copy editing for publishersI offer a freelance copy editing service to publishers. This involves:
• Checking the text for clarity and accuracy
• Checking that the necessary permissions are obtained for illustrations
• Ensuring accuracy of cross-references
• Checking that illustrations are accurate and clear and that captions
are consistent; cross-checking contents page with headings and
illustrations in the text, and ensuring that presentation of
contributors' names and affiliations in multi-author texts is consistent;
other checks as required
• Identifying anomalies that I cannot resolve and raising them with the author/s
• Tracking changes
• Tagging the manuscript or applying styles as required
Welcome to my site! I run an Edinburgh-based professional copy editing service, with an emphasis on humanities and social sciences. I have considerable experience with academic writers, including those with non-native English.
I am a professional member of SFEP and observe its code of practice. I participate in local branch meetings and participate in their training courses.
Subjects and formats
Apart from academic copy editing, which forms the bulk of my work, I have worked on corporate literature for a local design company, website content for a major international publisher, two biographical works and human rights reports.